Friday, June 22, 2007

First Great Adventure

my little 5 year old nephew was swimming in the Blanco river the other day..... water was high and rapids were flowing. we got caught up in a flow and kind of got swept downstream... i was struggling a little bit but being very sure to hang onto his arm.... i was going to drown myself before I let him get into trouble... he couldn't swim, but I wasn't really too worried cause i knew that the rapids weren't too long and they were shallow. we were never really in any danger though i'd had a beer or two and i shouldn't got caught up with this little one in the rapids in the first place.

we came out of it after falling about and sucking water a few times. I pushed him to the shore and came out myself.

he walked up to his dad, who was a little bit bit worried and would've jumped in to save us both at any given moment, and commented, "I just had my first great adventure."

It was cute and funny and dramatic.

What struck me the most was just the awareness that this little boy had of his own life - to the extent that he could frame up in his own little mind his own life to the extent of viewing his whole life in his mind - and he figured this was his first "great adventure."

I was honored.

I hope he'll remember me and his first great adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment