Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A Wild River


Hello Team,

....thought I'd share with you a couple of pictures from my adventure Sunday on the Blanco river.

This is a wild river without damns nor access. Once we launched we were committed to 12 river miles of rapids, waterfalls, the "narrows", and absolutely no access to civilization, phones, roads, people, etc..... till we came to the first property with road access (literally where I live).

It took us 10 hours.

I wiped out dozens of times, freaked out twice, and thought I was going to drown once.

And I was humbled throughout.

The three women that went with me (including my wife) are possibly the toughest human beings on earth. (That's a story in itself - all macho that I've had in the past is now forever gone.)

The highlight was "the narrows" itself which is a sharp 70 foot waterfall into a deep gorge. You have to drag (port) your kayaks around this gorge and then lower each kayak down a 40 foot cliff which each person also has to scale free handed and then stand on a thin ledge in the roaring current while propping each boat and the equipment before you can launch again.

Porting the "narrows" took maybe 2 hours.

Afterwards, deep in the gorge, flat on my back in a small open cavern, exhausted with only 5 more miles of rapids to go, I looked up and I said, "I AM AT THE CENTER OF THE EARTH."

And I was.

Humble again,
Mitch


1 comment:

  1. Wow!

    Sounds like a long day. Everyone should have a day like that now and then. Kinda puts things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete