Friday, November 14, 2008

Deer Fighting

It's rutting season for the deer in the Texas hill country and we sit on our porch nightly and catch a few bucks fighting now and then. It is amazing and intense.

Seeing some of these trophy bucks almost makes me want to go back to my deer hunting days.

When asked why I don't shoot one of these deer I reply, "I'd rather see that head and rack running around in the woods than cut off and hanging on my wall." We haven't filmed any of these incidents but I found a few interesting deer videos on YouTube.com.

4 comments:

  1. Did you ever see that old John Carpender movie Starman? For some reason this makes me think of it. There's a cool scene where the alien dude played by Jeff Bridges encounters a glorious buck shot and killed, strapped to a hood of a car. He stares at it and asks a number of questions trying to understand like "do deer eat people? do people eat people?" afterwhich they are in the diner and he can't think about anything else except for the dead deer in the parking lot. He's seemingly racking his super evolved (100K+ years beyond us humans) brain as to why would someone kill and eat this animal. Next scene he goes and uses one of his very limited magic orbs to bring it back to life. After a touching scene and the buck runs off galantly into the woods. he gets punched out in a brawl with the group of rednecks who are angry their prize was stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and when he is driving the car and sees the green light turn to yellow...he punches the pedal to the medal!!! Quick learner. T

    ReplyDelete
  3. He came that they might have life and that more abundantly.
    The gift of life, if I had the power to give it away, well, I'm not sure I would use it on a deer. This cruel hell whole called earth would take it from who ever had the gift of life and abuse the gift; or worse, did so killing the giver of the gift some time ago. Not much has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... didn't see the movie... didn't E.T. do something like that in a movie though?

    ..did that deer in that last one here rip the leg off the other deer? can't tell for sure...

    ReplyDelete