Friday, January 23, 2009

Life is Gritty and Great.

Click here for your wallpaper
I thought 'The Wrestler' was gritty - even great. I watched it at the downtown Alamo Draft House on my 51st birthday with my wife, daughter, a friend, bbq wings, pizza, and a pitcher of beer. So, there's lots of personal nostalgic and environmental settings factored in. At one point, I deemed it the best movie I've ever seen. I loved the simplicity. (My new tat by the way is - "Simplicity.") I loved the brutal honesty and the behind the scene rawness of love, comraderie, and pain. All endured for the glory - that is even itself - so shallow and temporary. It was existential and cathartic for me. I shed more than one tear. See it on a big screen, with beer if possible.

2 comments:

  1. Been wanting to see the movie, but disappointed that Alamo is only showing it at the Ritz. Hmm... wait, I think I just saw where they are now showing it at the Village as well. Cool. (After seeing movies at the Alamo I can no longer tolerate "normal" movie theaters.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not quite sure this movie warrants a big screen, but I will agree with your mad props assessment of the Alohamo Drafthorse. That place roks balls. I agree with Sine Botchen. I can't really enjoy a movie anymore unless I'm downing a pitcher of Shiner and screaming obscenities at the poor alt-waitress who pops her pierced face up at the exact moment Ricky Mourke is giving his Rocky speech! Yes, of course I want another pitcher!!!! And no, I don't want any more cheese fries!!!!

    ReplyDelete