Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Steve Earle - intro to Devil's Right Hand

Steve Earle comes out on encore in his "Townes Van Zandt" tour playing in New Braunfels, Tx. June 20, 2009 and talks about gun-control and raising an "out-of-control" fourteen year-old son.

This was about as entertaining as it got.

The venue sucked and I almost got into a fight with a staff member who threatened to call a sheriff to throw me out. I swore I'd bad-mouth the Whitewater Amphitheater to no end.

First they charged an additional $10 when you get there just to park, there site directions there and on the web is confusing, at least one member of staff was a threatening jerk, one drunk (supposedly works for the owner) stood up front near stage making scene and being a distraction till several audience members complained. The organizing was lame and for the price of a $28 ticket (plus $10 surprise parking) there wasn't even a full band.

On the good side you can buy a shot of Hornitos Tequila for $6. Plus I got to hear and visit with a friend of ours - grammy song-writer Susan Gibson.

If it hadn't been Steve Earle and Susan I'd of passed on this one. Adena finally did get him to sign my Texas Troubadours book, but he was harder to get to than freaking Bob Dylan - (we had to hand the book to a gaurd, who then waitied and handed it to Steve Earle - it was all meant to discourage fun)


1 comment:

  1. Strange. My experience is actually the reverse.

    I've seen Steve Earle several times and each time he sucked so badly I walked out or away (one time was at ACL). He has a penchant for the most stifling political speechifying (esp. about how awful Texas is for having the death penalty) and his equipment or the sound board or something is almost constantly failing.

    Bluh.

    On the other hand, I've been to Whitewater Ampitheater. We went last year to see Ghostland Observatory and the show was amazing. Had a blast there. Didn't really notice venue employees.

    ReplyDelete