Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Animals on the Road: Dead or Alive

I saw 'em cleaning a dead deer off the side of the road yesterday and thought to myself, "hey, I oughta just track how many dead animals I see on a single morning's drive to work."


So this morning I did just that. (...counted live ones too)


Road - DistanceAnimalDead or AliveNotes
Sandy Point Rd - 2 milesDeerLive
DeerLive
FM 2325 - 8 milesSkunkDeadFreshly dead - smelled
?Deadunidentifiable
?Dead
VultureLiveTurkey Vulture sitting on post
RaccoonDeadBig one... real pretty fur
DeerDead
Highway 290 - 13 miles?DeadDeer ?
?DeadDeer ? ...been dead awhile ...looked like a skin rug
DeerDeadlarge doe
DeerDeadsmall doe


There's the chart.

That's a total of 12 wildlife specimans spotted on just my ride to work this morning, and 9 of them dead.


I spotted a deer (which I thought was dead) which was just tangled in the barbed-wire fence a while back and set it free. Awhile back I also saw a small goat stuck in the fence. I turned around and drove back to it - filmed it - then set it free. About 2 days ago, there was a very big cow trotting down the side of the road. About a quarter mile up the road was a Hays County Sheriff officer pulled over. I stopped in front of him and told him about the loose cow. He said, "Why do you think I was pulled over and fixin' to go back there?" He acted like I was a crazy fool to even approach him about it. (Another jerk cop in my humble opinion.)

No comments:

Post a Comment