Thursday, November 10, 2005

Meet Ricardo I. Zavala

I met Ricardo at a party only briefly a few weeks ago and found out that he has written several short stories that were published in some literary magazines. I've read them since and in my humble opinion they are very good.

The settings are from his Mexican-American boyhood days in South Texas and provide this Whiteboy a special insight into not only the life and times of this wonderful man and author, but a glimpse into the lives, frustrations, and hopes and dreams that many Mexican-Americans must experience.

Ricardo I. Zavala graciously gives permission here to reprint three of his short stories previously published. ("Scraps" published by the St. Edwards University literary journal - New Literati, the other two by Arizona State University.) Of course, all rights are reserved by the author himself. I hope you'll enjoy them as I did.

A small boy runs off into the fields to work and to learn more than he cares to in:
The Prayer
by Ricardo I. Zavala


One of the best short stories I've ever read. This disturbing canine drama reminds me of good 'ole Flannery O'Conner herself. It's a dog's world in:
Scraps
by Ricardo I. Zavala


My heart goes out to a small boy caught between two worlds in:
It No Looky Too Good
by Ricardo I. Zavala

No comments:

Post a Comment