Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Grandmothers and Bulldogs


My American Bulldog was named after my G-G-Grandmother who's maiden name was Phoebe Dove. My Grandmother smoked a corncob pipe and used to earn money fortune-telling to local people and railroad men passing through town. She lived to a ripe old age and got to see many great-grandchildren born. Once the local doctor used her kitchen table to amputate a boy's leg who got hit by a train.

She was a tough ole' lady and for that I named my female American Bulldog after her in hopes that she might live long and be strong.

My dog's registered name is actually "Mitch's Lona-Girt-Pearl" which is a combination of the names of the grandmothers who were exceptionally gritty in my life.

Lona was my father's mother. She taught me to swim in a lake and took me fishing as a boy. Girt was my wife's grandmother who had a heart of gold, but cussed like a sailer. Every kid and most every adult was scared of her in the neighborhood, but I fell in love with her and saw her deep gruffy caring spirit right off. She loved me too. Pearl is my wife's other grandmother who was just naturally classy, southern and gritty having been married to a share-cropper in Alabama and raising five boys on virturally no money and whatever crop they could raise.

My dog is of course spoiled but still gritty. She whimpers like a pup sometimes. She nags me like crazy - barking when she's outside wanting me to come out and play. Her "play" is "tug-o-war" with a rope or a basketball that she's demolished. It lasts about one minute before you're wiped out. She always wins. You can't wear her out.

Her other favorite game is tearing up trees. I'll hook up a tire and use her aggression to actually pull stumps around the property. But sometimes she quits pulling and just starts clawing and chewing the stump to death.

When I was cutting timber and using logs for building the cabin, I taught her to strip the bark of the logs by exciting her and saying, "Strip 'er down, Stip 'er down!" and she'd tear into it for an hour just gnawing and pulling bark off of them cedar logs. You had to be careful you didn't get your hand in there. She seems to go into a "zone" when she starts to get wound up. I have to be very careful and not get her too excited. I really wouldn't want to see it.

She loves to swim and fishes by herself splashing about on top of the fish she spots while wading in the water. She caught a squirrel once. We couldn't get it away from her. She carried it around proudly for a few days and eventually ate it.

74 comments:

  1. Just took a short visit to your weblog and found this entry very lovely and emotional.
    Why don't you spend a little time to check out my site at http://arlettetran.blogspot.com ?
    Ciao,
    Arlette

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When there's a will, I want to be in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is a free gift ? Aren't all gifts free?

    ReplyDelete
  7. All generalizations are false, including this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Calvin, we will not have an anatomically correct snowman!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beam me aboard, Scotty..... Sure. Will a 2x10 do?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clap on! , Clap off! clap@#&$NO CARRIER

    ReplyDelete
  13. Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Build a watch in 179 easy steps - by C. Forsberg.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beam me aboard, Scotty..... Sure. Will a 2x10 do?

    ReplyDelete
  16. actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Clap on! , Clap off! clap@#&$NO CARRIER

    ReplyDelete
  18. When there's a will, I want to be in it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What is a free gift ? Aren't all gifts free?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Calvin, we will not have an anatomically correct snowman!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Build a watch in 179 easy steps - by C. Forsberg.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Save the whales, collect the whole set

    ReplyDelete
  23. Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Build a watch in 179 easy steps - by C. Forsberg.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A lot of people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience.

    ReplyDelete
  27. 640K ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates 81

    ReplyDelete
  28. actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beam me aboard, Scotty..... Sure. Will a 2x10 do?

    ReplyDelete
  31. 640K ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates 81

    ReplyDelete
  32. Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

    ReplyDelete
  33. actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What is a free gift ? Aren't all gifts free?

    ReplyDelete