Friday, April 21, 2006

Time It Never Rained



...looks like the Texas hill country drought may be over... its been over a year since we've had decent rainfall... checked the rain gauge this morning and got nearly 2 inches.

...the practical side of this for me is two years ago (fall of 2004) i planted about $40 worth of bluebonnet seed and maybe $20 or $30 worth of wild flower seed. Maybe a few dozen sprang up and a year later about the same... this year nothing but maybe a dozen bluebonnets so far.

I also planted about $60 worth of native prairie seed in the fall of 2005. I haven't seen any of it pop up yet.

It hasn't rained enough to soak the ground here since Dec/Jan of 2004/2005. (about 15 months ago)

my land looks like it was hit by a nuclear bomb after we dug up enough rock to build a 200' wall - 4' tall X 2' wide - last summer. I've been planting grass and agave and cactus waiting for things to green up some.

I've been hand watering my cactus by hauling 5 gallon buckets out to the front.

well ... the drought (i think) is over now... Praise God!

i read some history of Wimberley, TX a few months back... during the 50s there was a 5 year drought around here (7 years in West Texas) ... one of the ranches that survived was the Sites Ranch about 3 miles up the road from where i live. They did it by switching over to raising mostly goats and a few sheep... they're still around. they're about the only ones around here that survived that drought. all the other ranches folded up, sold off their cattle - cashed in and died out.

The Sites Ranch survived. Good for you guys!

Everyday I drive by and love seeing those goats in the field and every once in a while I see a cowboy or cowgirl out there movin' them between fields.

two of the lovliest longhorn cattle i've ever seen used to live up the road. I admired them every day as i passed them in the morning and evenings. their gone now. haven't seen them in a month or two.

the best cowboy story i've ever read gives you a good feel of how those days were and how men survived and didn't survive them. it is The Time It Never Rained by Elmer Kelton.

I just finished reading it yesterday... as i sat out on the porch, listening to the rain.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mitch.I am sure there are many people living here in Slovakia who would change their homes with your ranch in a second.Every year is the south of the country devastated by floods.All properties have lost any value `cause nobody will ever buy it.

    But this is our nature.Thanks god it was raining in Wimberley. You deserve it guys!

    Matej

    ReplyDelete
  2. there's an American phrase used to express how when someone is completely bored (or boring) they're just "sittin' around and watching the grass grow".

    you don't how many times that phrase comes to mind as I daily check my grass, my dirt, my rocks and look for any signs of life.

    I literally do "watch my grass grow"....

    i put out another pound of grass seed Saturday hoping it will rain again....

    you missed a good chainsawing and burning cedar time Saturday - Adena and I cut n' burned all day - then jumped in the river. Hot hot day.

    ReplyDelete