Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Manic Management

I koined this phrase "Manic Management" trying to describe what I see as a fractured-focus quasi attempt to solve problems that results more in churn than in productivity. It's measured more by the high energy input and frantic interactions than by success for the long haul within short periods of time. Meetings burst open and slam shut and you're back next week on the same problem, each time thinking you've solved something but you haven't.

Churn is a new term I've learned here at work also. It can best be described as walking hard on a treadmill and then looking up asking, "Hey, are we there yet?" And everybody does it.

Anyway, I thought I was being witty and wrote these 7 tips addressing the concept. Now, it's been on my whiteboard in my cubical for more than a couple of days, and I may be offending people with it - the cardinal sin of office cube etiquette. I need to erase it, so I'll slap it on this wall and see if it sticks.

7 Tips to Avoid "Manic Management"
  1. Less is usually more
  2. Don't confuse multi-tasking with multi-accomplishing
  3. Sound coming from the mouth does not equal expressed knowledge
  4. Remember: Your $.02 probably won't pay the tax
  5. It can be planned without being done
    It can be done without being planned
    It cannot be done without being done
  6. Too much information is the problem - not the solution
  7. "Fractured Focus" is a symptom of our age. Avoid it.




No comments:

Post a Comment