Wednesday, December 12, 2007

What I Give Up When I Give Up God

What I lose when I lose God


  • Someone to appeal to for help
  • Someone to be grateful to
  • Knowing a sovereign power of good is watching over me

Someone to appeal to for help
Prayer.


Its nice when I am despondent or desperate to go to someone in prayer - intimate, meditative conversation - whom I can have confidence in - that He is beyond me, that He cares, that I can appeal to Him to reach beyond my circumstances and make some magical hand entry into my world and change things just enough so I can pull out of my dilemmas and survive one more time.


Without God, I have no one to go to for help. No one I can place my hope in.


Someone to be grateful to
Thankfulness.

Gratitude for the good things in life is an important, powerful, and some would say necessary emotion for happiness. I AM grateful. I want to be happy with what I have and for all the good that has come to me. I could just as easily been a slave girl dying of poverty in a third world country. I'm not. I am free. I eat everyday. I am healthy. I even have a certain amount of wealth that most men in the world today would be envious of. I am grateful for that. I need to feel and have this emotion - for my own happiness.

Without God, I really have no one to worship, to be to grateful to, to thank for all my blessings.


Knowing a sovereign power is watching over me
Faith.

I like to think that someone or something with the power to make good cares about me. I like to think that that person, as mysterious and as invisible as He is, is watching over me, is cheering me on, is hoping for my best, cares, loves, has power - is willing to use it. Is in fact using His power in ways that I am unaware of, to control, guide and direct little and big accidents in my life - so that things work out for me ultimately.

Without God, I am on my own.


I don't know if I can live with all of that.
I don't know if I can live without God.... whether He is real or not.

1 comment:

  1. i'm not despaired yet... though i'm closely tempted... i'm just trying to figure out if God is there or not.

    or like a friend told me this morning - "Oh i see, mitch... you want to know the TRUTH!"

    :)

    ReplyDelete