Friday, November 9, 2007

"Not a difficult question in the least"

I asked a close friend of mine (who's an atheist) if he really, in his heart-of-hearts, believed that there is no God. I expected a bit of an open-ended hesitation, but got none. Here's his reply:

******************************

No problem, that’s not a difficult question for me in the least. As you know I’ve lived my entire life without faith from a young age (I was never convinced) and so it’s not something I ‘deal’ with. I think that as a child it’s much easy to shed the burden of religion then an adult because the longer you live with something you believe in the harder it is to give it up and face all the time and energy lost in life on something meaningless (in general, I’m not referencing yourself here).

To answer your question though, my best assessment of reality is that there surely is no gods, God, Allah, Christ or whatever else we’ve imagined in our extremely short time on this earth. It’s actually kind of hard for me to level with religious people because to me, the idea is just so silly, preposterous, counter-productive, pointless, mind-numbing, ridiculous and stone-age-like I find it impossible to not be condenscending, which I totally hate to come off as. With older people [part delete], it’s easy. I like playing along with it because I know it’s something that makes them happy. I mean, what older person couldn’t use the belief that they will live forever in some paradise being visited by all their loved ones as they die off one by one? Sure makes getting old and dying easy, probably the main reason religion will always be part of human society. People want to live forever, like duh..

I’ll continue in a second, just want to send this off….

No comments:

Post a Comment