Thursday, June 12, 2008

Sam Hall

the man in black

I was doing some quick research on the origins of the song "Sam Hall" that Johnny Cash recorded on his 2002 CASH cd.


Ask me sometime when you come by and I'll try and sing you this song about a man cursing the crowd while he's about the hung from the gallows. I've been practicing. :)



I stumbled upon this text written of a slave turned free after forty-seven years who's name was also Sam Hall. It's a very interesting, authentic and intense read. (Wow, I just described my personal ideals)


1 comment:

  1. So,
    This is thought provoking, and insightful. I was moved with a willingness to actually understand him. This story took me into the moment of his pain and left me questioning my own commitment, the kind of determination he expressed. Would I have what it takes?, to follow my "truth"?; or the price he paid for his? Would any of us have his determination?
    When will we awaken? How bad must it get before we affect change?

    ReplyDelete