Friday, September 12, 2008

Joy

Well, yes, I am a grandfather now. And 50 years old. This boy is cute as a button though. He's sharp and intense like his father too. Adena and I were blessed enough to go to Prague and visit this little "real McCoy" and his parents. I'll admit, he is the highlight of my affections for now, and the most endearing thing I've come across since the birth of my own children.



I haven't fully decided yet how this all affects me other than the realization somewhat of the adage "it's NOT about me". His presence still causes a lot of reflection on my part - a person who is unhealthily over-reflective anyway perhaps. Having a whole 'nother generation forward looking at you in face, cause one at least to wonder about how well they have done so far in preparing the whole this child will enter into. I do have my own regrets in life. Now they lurk about in my mind as little demons hoping to haunt me through all the "possibilities" that could have been awaiting this young child.



However, I didn't make the world, I'm just living in it. Vinnie will have to face all the same problems and pains we all do. Hopefully, he can find the joys also, and they will outweigh the costs.



Joy. That must be the measure of successful living. How much joy have I encountered, encouraged, and invoked in others. Joy. If I can find just a little of that daily, and look back and find it as an after-flow trailing through my life - then I will come out in the balance.



For now, a little person follows behind me two generations back. His name is Vincent Andrew Sanders. He is a joy - to me. My prayer is for an abundance of joy to follow him through life.





For more pictures of Vinnie you can dig through an assortment that I and Alena have each posted for public viewing.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment