Thursday, March 23, 2006

Honky Tonk Hendrix

Adena and I saw the incredible Junior Brown play his #1 house-rocking style music - as voted by Guitar Player magazine. He played in the backwoods of my own Hays County in a little swanky place called Lucy's in San Marcos. He was incredible. He's got that rare combination of slow deep pure country voice mixed with a honky-tonk Hendrix telecaster mounted on this funky steel guitar that rocks the house like nobody but maybe Robert Randolph could. This guy is a living legend and represents Austin style music as nicely as only Willie himself does.

For an encore, Adena and hollered out a request for "My Baby Don't Dance to Nothing but Ernest Tubb." He nodded at me and honored the request by singing it and introducing the song as a tribute to his old buddy, the Texas Troubadour himself - Ernest Tubbs.

You can't get more Austin or more Texan or more Honky Tonk than that. A pure experience touching back to days I barely remember and mostly only dreamed about.

Don't miss him if you get a chance.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds totally cool. I was raised up in the Victoria area and every weekend in the early seventies we frequented all the old timey German Dance halls - Greunau, Lindenau, Nordheim, Community Hall, Weesatche. At holiday time it was a thrill for me as I reached my mid twenties and moved back to that area, to go to the Nordheim Shooting Club dance hall and dance with the men my father's age who knew what real dancing was all about. Good memories. My niece got married in that area October 04 and had her wedding reception at the Nordheim hall and it really brought back memories of all the dancing and drinking we did there as teens and young adults - happier, simpler times. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, Mitch

    ReplyDelete