Saturday, March 11, 2006

Remember When the Web was Fun?

I got this interesting threatening email. Supposedly I put up a photo(?) that someone else created. I went to his site and typed a search for the photo that he claims is his and it doesn't come up. I went to my site and scrolled through everything but can't find anything of his. I admit I do have a few pictures I pulled from news services or from somewhere else on the web (e.g. one of Mike Tyson) but by and large everything up there is my own creation - photographs, artwork, etc.

I don't want to step on people's toes and I sure don't want to take credit or use something someone else made without their consent, but hasn't this intellectual property thing gone a bit overboard? I mean, isn't that what posting things on the web is all about anyway? I don't care if anyone takes anything from my sites. In fact I'd be honored. That's why I put it out there on the web.

I hate to be nostalgic for the good ole' days, but the web used to be a fun place and it's not anymore (sigh).

Nothing good lasts forever I guesss.

If you're interested, here's the email I got. (But heck, that may be copyrighted too. I'll probaby get another threatening email):


From: "Kris King"
To: lipswhiteboymccoy@yahoo.com
Subject: Hey Mitch
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:31:48 -0500

As lawyers you should know copyright laws better than anyone. I am shocked to find my COPYRIGHT photo on your blog.

The use of my copyrighted (registered) photographic images in any form is strictly prohibited without my express written permission and payment of a licensing fee. I have spent thousands of dollars in the making of my high quality images, not to mention the time and expertise involved, and do not allow their use without due monetary compensation and a contractual agreement.

You have two choices, either remove the photo (lilies) or contact me about payment for the illegal use of my photograph.

Kris King
Photographer
You stole the photo from kriskingphoto.com

2 comments:

  1. ...yeah, I thought about that too and I think it probably is... I'm waiting to see if this guy responds.

    ...have you seen one like this before? ... not a bad idea for a spam scam if I say so myself.

    ReplyDelete