Thursday, March 9, 2006

Strung out in a Post-Modern Career

I just started working at company A. The recruiter lady met me at a clinic where I took my urine test for drug abuse and I filled out some papers. We went to the Broken Spoke honky-tonk and had lunch, visited, and will probably never see each other again.

Company A hires technical people to work for Company B. Company B hires people through company A to work for a company C - which is a large computer manufacturing firm that out-sources a lot of work.

I report onsite to company C.

After moving through 3 different cubicles and meeting several groups, teams, individuals within a few short weeks, I'm starting to figure out who I work for.

The direct boss that I'm supposed to report to lives somewhere in India. He is boss A. He is Indian and communicates to me by email, IM, and phone. His boss lives in this city (Austin, Tx.) I've met her twice. She speaks good English, is Indian and says I'm supposed to report to her - Boss B (and to him, but to her "really") since we live and work in the same series of buildings. (There are multiple big buildings like a little city here. There is even a full time bus line that ports people between the buildings.)

I've now been moved to a different building than Boss B and am told to work with and for this other group of people. I'm introduced to co-workers A and B and am told by co-worker A that I really work for him. So co-worker A is really boss C. He is only 5 cubicles up and 1 cubicle over from me. He is a very nice guy.

My paycheck comes mailed to me from company A. I email them my timesheet which I input into a web application at company C. I send weekly PowerPoint updates (a few lines of words only) to Boss A. I am supposed to keep Boss B up-to-date (supposedly, but she's really gives the impression of being way too busy to ever actually talk.)

Boss C, from (I think, team B) tells me I actually am a team member of this other team in this other building whom I was introduced to my first day here. Team X?

So, I sit in my cubicle working for teams A and B and X, reporting to Bosses A, B, and C, and getting paid from Companies A, B, and C.

I email and IM and try to figure out what code I should be working on and who I should try to please and what exactly should I pursue.

It's very abstract. It has this weird feel of 1984-Brave-New-World
[times] a David Lynch film [divided by] the “Lost in Space” TV series.

Everyone is very nice though.

(Maybe they’re all robots. I hope someone keeps sending me a check.)

No comments:

Post a Comment