Wednesday, August 17, 2005

American Masters . Hank Williams | PBS

Watched the story of Hank Williams on American Masters the other night with my good friend and father-in-law Ike Lovvorn. (This Emmy award-winning series always has great stuff.) The particularly poignant moment for me on this night came from Ike, when at the end of the show he says, "It always makes me really sad when I hear the story of Hank Williams."

My mom used to play a lot of Hank Williams on our 6-foot long "Hi-Fi" record-player when she did her weekly house cleanings. She'd crank it up real loud so she could hear it over the vacuum cleaner roar.... And then she'd sing all-silly-like at the top of her lungs along with the songs. I think the cheatin' songs had a special meaning to her. I guess the story of Hank tugged at the heart of my father-in-law also. He kind of sniffled when he mentioned to me how Hank's story made him sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment