Friday, August 19, 2005

Does Your Dog Howl at Night if you Die?

...my wife calls me at work and sounds all desparate. she says with this tear in her voice that she opened up her phone this morning and for some reason the date said it was January 1981. this freaked her out. I knew instantly why.



...my son was born Jan 1, 1981 - New Year's day... he is over in Iraq now working as a combat firefighter for Halliburton. I don't have good contact with him because of the obvious distance... I get emails from him every once in a while.... I've been emailing him all day and asking, "Are you all right?" .... hopefully he'll respond soon with his usual "Yes, I'm ok"... I haven't heard from him yet though.



I hope the universe isn't tied together with some kind of mystical cause and effect where weird things happen like a mother's electronic contraptions display weird dates because something somewhere else bad happens on the other side of the world... something as distant but as close as your own belly button.



It used to be an old belief that when a person died in their home at night, their dog knows it and will howl all night. My grandmother told me once.... says she's heard it herself a few times.... she also told me February was the worst month for her family and always feared it. She died in a February.



I keep checking my own clock on my phone and emailing Brandon.... he should be alright....







No comments:

Post a Comment