Thursday, December 15, 2005

Can I be completely honest with myself and still be a Christian? - part III


It's not obvious whether there's a God or not... that makes me mad.

This definitely leans in favor of those who figure He doesn't exist. If it were my druthers, I'd have him hovering over a temple somewhere, maybe in the Middle East or Africa or Utah. We could all travel (like to Mecca) and talk to Him there and ask Him questions and plead with him to do us favors or heck - maybe just worship him or something... maybe even bring him gifts, or thank him for life or ask him to heal our sick children... you know.... basic things like that.

...but maybe that's a time to come.... maybe we aren't in the know because of some kind of time-span we're in where God and man are just separated and aren't able to know each other... maybe he's just decided to abandon us... maybe he has.

...more than likely, I'll have to admit, God just isn't there. He's not obvious because He doesn't exist. He is only a mythological outcropping of our imaginations. That seems very reasonable.

If I were cast onto a desert isle and found myself awake but with amnesia, after a certain amount of time, I think I would start calling out to the sky, and hope that some great big something/someone/other could hear me and maybe even come to rescue me and give me help and answers to questions I might have.

I might even start imagining that I could sense or tell when His invisible presence was watching me or not. If I had a wife and other people on the isle with me and I beat her and then felt bad about it (because I could relate that, "geez, I myself wouldn't want to be beaten") I might even want my bad deed to be wiped out and forgotten by this unseen omnipotent God that I was imagining. I might even create some kind of system where for every bad thing I did, I would give up some good thing (chop off my finger, sacrifice a goat, etc.) to make things even again with the universe (my mind, and my God.) I could even become a secret representative of my God and tell others that they have to do what I tell them or I'll get my God angry and after them. But if they pay me money (or goats or sex or something good) I could then appease this God for them and everyone would be happy.

Geez... this all sounds about like how I would expect a society to develop. If Lord of the Flies had a part two, it would've developed into something like this (had the Adults of course not stepped into the course of their history - calling the whole thing off.)

The Bible (actually a "prophet" named Isaiah claiming to speak for the god of the Jews) quotes God as saying, "My ways are not your ways, My thoughts are not your thougts... my ways (and thoughts) are higher than your ways and thoughts"... meaning God has it figured out and is doing it different than how I think he should.

Again, some of the oldest text in existence cites a dilemma where the fellow named Job had a series of super rotten events happen in his life and then claims to talk to God face to face (so he could throw up into His face and say, "What the heck? this ain't fair! Why'd you let all these bad things happen to me." And God is quoted as simply rebuking him with, "Where were you when I created this whole universe anyway?" ... as in "you are a small puny human that i created and you don't have the right to question the things i do."

...so it could be that I just have no right to ask or maybe even know anything about God ...but then why do I imagine Him? ...why do I even ask if He's there or not?

Am I made with some kind of aching in my being (heart/soul/mind/spirit/brainwaves) that wants to know and maybe even like Mulder in the X-files WANTS to believe? Maybe.

But it's easy to see this as some kind of emotional, cultural, pre-conceived need and notion that's easily fabricated in society and the mind. That's pretty easy to believe actually. But it still leaves me feeling kind of empty and alone.

But truthfully, I'd rather feel empty and alone, than to be fooling myself. (I think?)

The bad news again now is ... whatever I believe.... I may be wrong.

Crap! This ain't good at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment