Saturday, February 9, 2008

My Margarita and My White Trash Vacation


I made a new margarita drink. Three shots of "white" tequila 100% agave and a shot of Contreau. I'm calling it a "3 amigos" because it makes you do stupid things.

So I had me a "3 Amigos" yesterday while visiting with my wife, Johnny 'O', and River Rose. I get this great idea of let's all drive down to Big Bend for the weekend. We could leave about 3:30 in the morning and throw in all our camping equipment and take off. It's about 11:00 pm and Big Bend National Park is about 10 hours away - somewhere out in absolute desolate isolation from all civilization.

The girls don't really think its a great idea and would require more preparation.

But I say, "Heck ... I'm gonna do it." I throw some snacks and tequila into the truck along with all the camping gear I can find. Standing by my truck, trying to decide if I'm actually going to do it, I decide, "Yes" and hollar down to my wife "I'm really thinking about doing it."

She mumbles something about how the dog would enjoy an adventure and turns off the light and goes to bed.

I jump in my truck and head out. It's about 12 midnight.

It's great fun. Playing "Ray Wylie Hubbard on the radio" like Hank Williams Jr. says in his song.

Two hours later I pull over with all the semi-trucks and curl up in the seat of my truck to sleep.

As I'm getting cold and miserable lying there in my truck, I start questioning my judgement.

By 7:30 AM I've pretty much decided "this may not be such a great idea". I call my wife and let her know where I'm at and I've decided to come back.

She sleepily restates, "So you're somewhere outside Kerrville and you're coming back. OK."

(So much for having a "3 Amigos" and deciding on big adventures in the middle of the night.)

No comments:

Post a Comment