Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Building a Data Infrastructure is Not Easy

I was asked today at work how long it would take for me to "get this data fixed"?

I replied as such:

With all due respect the words “getting this data fixed” makes me cringe (though I understand what you mean.)

The reality is - the system took my nice Rolex watch [working data infrastructure], took it apart, placed it in a bucket, took a bunch of other watches apart, placed them in the bucket also, blind-folded me, tied one hand behind my back [Org changes, IT restrictions, lack of hardware/space/access/software control, programmers in India coming/going] and then yelled,

“How are we supposed to know what time it is if you don’t have a watch!"

"Well, you’ve got the ingredients there… can’t you just make one?"

"We’ll need an ETA also… and don’t forget to finish up that other important thing you were doing.”

Then she asked me repeatedly for a NAME of the person in the department that wasn't helping me properly to solve this problem - so she could ESCALATE the matter higher.

So I tried to explain in more non-metaphorical terms the exact systemic problem and how it evolved to where it is today.

She insisted again that I give her a NAME so she could "escalate the issue" [read: hollar, scream, complain through a bunch of emails]

Some people just don't get it.

I gave her the name of the CIO.

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Sanders,

    This is Eric Corbell, Ariel's boyfriend. I need to speak with either you or Adina if possible. This is the only way that I have to contact you. The matter is somewhat urgent. If you could, e-mail me a contact number at corbellicious@gmail.com. I regret having to use your website in such a way, I simply had no other choice.

    Thank you,
    Eric Corbell

    ReplyDelete