Friday, March 7, 2008

Managing Expectations

I've found myself here at the "Rocky Edge Ranch" (aka my little cabin home on the Blanco river) turning into a "wanna getaway place" for everybody I know.

Unfortunately, I am not a B & B and have to work full time so I've found myself having to "set expectations" (a customer handling tactic I learned at work.)

Here's my reply to a friend. I figured I could just post and reference this to everybody planning to visit...... kinda funny I thought.

************************************************

Let’s talk about some specifics and maybe “manage some expectations”…..
Factors to consider:

  • You don’t need to rent a car… I can pick you up and take you back – Austin airport works on workdays (me driving back and forth), is an hour’s drive from house otherwise. San Antonio airport is just a bit longer drive but much more pleasant, but I DO NOT drive near it on weekdays like I do the Austin airport.
  • I work 5 days a week still and won’t be able to take off extra for entertainment purposes.
  • I work 2 days a week from home on Monday and Tuesday so, those are good days where we can visit and be around the house. (while I work, assuming my duties will be light.)
  • It’s nice just to sit around the cabin, with the dogs, looking at the river, sitting around a fire, drinking beer/margaritas….. that what we do best.
  • Neighborhood fun doesn’t PLAN out too well - is more spontaneous and never guaranteed. But we can always go visit and see what kind of trouble can be stirred up.
  • I have another friend (Christian free-thinker – a bit eccentric but intelligent and funny – plays guitar) named Pat who wants to come visit also…. I think you two together would be fun. Let me coordinate a visit from him the same time.
  • I am pretty much worse than broke ($$) and everything (food, gas, etc.) costs just the bit more now a days and puts me into debit spending – not asking for money, just telling you my limitations.
  • Adena naturally enjoys company but has tendencies to need to entertain everyone and drains herself of all energies to the point of illness. This is a repeated pattern for her. My desire is to subtract not add to her stressful life habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment