Saturday, May 9, 2009

Can you count your sins?

Going over the concepts in my last blog, I'm basically saying that defining sin is very fuzzy nowadays. So much so that I don't know that I (or you) can actually pinpoint a sin or two during the normal day.

I would like to be able to know if and when and how I sin when I sin.

The old sins of sex and getting drunk and hating people don't apply anymore. I have sex when I want, I drink whatever I want and pretty much to whatever extent I care to without feeling I'm sinning and I don't hate anybody. So I'm not sinning those ways.

I'm not murdering, stealing, cheating, lying, or fornicating with other women.

I guess I could stretch a few things like when I go faster than the speed limit sign of 65 and I go 70. Maybe technically that's some kind of sin. On the books it is illegal. But on a freeway with everybody around you going at least 70 - 75 mph, you are almost a hazaard trying to go slower. In fact it just don't seem right to NOT go the average safe speed that those around you seem to be going.

So where are my sins? What wrongs do I do that Jesus gave sacrificed his blood to God for?

I got one.

The other day I got an email from a person who did some work. I thought about email my boss communicating the work was done without copying the guy who did the work, thus hinting (sort of) that maybe I did the work.

The pursuit of self-glory. That's feel like sinful.

I don't remember if I actually did it or not, but that's about the only thing I can think of in my life recently that I would consider a sin.

Can you remember your sins?

Can you count your sins?

Can you even name one?

2 comments:

  1. Obviously, it is easy to recall all the ways in which I do not live up to my own self imposed standards. I can name repeated bad choices and not living out what is right in my own eyes. I can think of numerous times not denying myself in preference to others.If Jesus the man were the best measure of excellence I certainly do not think I qualify as a fair contestant for what is right. Follow Jesus even for how he lived, then I am not worhty to be his disciple; even if he were just a man.
    So yea, I can see my own personal responsibility clearly, and counting, I stopped counting a while ago now. I just hope to counted among his disciples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok.... just list off specifically 3 sins you did today.

    Can you do it? I want the approximate time, place, and description.

    Can you do it?

    I'm sick of all this "I'm so lowly and can't be compared to the the holy moly Jesus" who also happen to be God himself disguised as a human accorging to popular Christian-mythology.

    ReplyDelete